Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Greetings from New Panther Blogger, Rachel!

by Rachel B., Panther Blogger

Hi, my name is Rachel. I am a sophomore here on campus. One of the main reasons I was attracted to Ferrum was because of the proximity to my house. I am just a hop, a skip, and a jump down Route 40. I am far enough away from home to stay on campus, but close enough to go home on the weekend. One of our family traditions was to see the Jack Tale Players every summer and attend the Folklife Festival every fall. I love the sense of community that Ferrum offers through its programs and activities.

I would recommend Ferrum to any student. This may not be the biggest campus in the world, but it has a lot of opportunities for involvement. At Ferrum, you are not a student ID number; you are a face with a name. This meant the world to me! I decided to come to Ferrum because I had more research opportunities as an underclassman. I was also attracted to playing Division 3 sports.

At Ferrum, the professors are really highly educated. They know whether you are in class, and they really care! Ferrum's Chemistry and Criminal Justice programs are on target for me to reach my career goals. My professors have real-world experience in both the career and college setting. They really can steer a student in the right direction, which is very helpful and a great perk of a smaller school.

On campus, I am a tennis player. This is my main activity, but I am also the Secretary of the Lions Branch Club, a member of the Art Club, and a member of the Boone Honors Program. Division 3 sports allow former high school athletes to compete at a higher level without the extreme stress and pressure of Division 1 and 2. I love playing tennis here! Balance is the key to college, but I have dived in and have found success.

No comments:

Post a Comment