Thursday, February 1, 2018

Ferrum College: A place full of magical experiences. A place where I have found a family.

By Angela Patricia Velasquez Hoyos, Fulbright Spanish Language Assistant 2017-2018


Angela Patricia Velasquez Hoyos
My name is Angela P. Velasquez Hoyos. I was born in Anserma Caldas, Colombia, but during the last 10 years, I have lived in Pereira, Risaralda which is located in the coffee region in Colombia.

I hold a Bachelor degree in English language Teaching from Technological University of Pereira and a Master Degree from Caldas University in Manizales Caldas Colombia. I have spent six years teaching English and research which is something that I really enjoy doing. I am a curious person who loves reading, hiking, listening to music, traveling, and talking to people.

When I first knew I was going to Ferrum College, I got very excited because I heard great comments about people from Virginia. To be honest, the comments were not enough to describe what I have experienced in this wonderful campus - love, kindness, and true friendship - this is my international family I will never forget. It has been five months since my arrival to Ferrum and I have not had any day in which I have not felt excitement to explore the campus.

In the fall semester 2017, I had great students in my Spanish 101 class. It was very rewarding to see the progress they made throughout the semester. In this spring semester, I am teaching Spanish 102, and conversation. I hope that my students enjoy the classes as much as I do.

Regarding my experience at Ferrum, I think it has been amazing. I am surprised because I am doing some sports that I never did in Colombia. I have played racquetball, I have joined the Zumba and the yoga classes in the YMCA, and I have gone hiking with Ferrum Outdoors. I definitely won’t be the same person when I travel back to Colombia. There are many things I have learned, thanks to this experience.


This semester, I am looking forward to showing you some cultural aspects of my country. You may see more of my photographs here.

No comments:

Post a Comment