Monday, August 13, 2012

Sweet Summertime!

By Grant W., Panther Blogger

As it is for many students, summer is a precious time to me. It is a time to be outside enjoying the entirety of what this world has to offer. Families go on vacation, friends visit friends, and we all get to kick back and soak up some rays. Along with all the fun in the sun comes some hard work though! Summer offers all of us some valuable time to try and strengthen our resumes, and get a head start for next semester.

This summer, I have traveled to Cocoa Beach, Florida, Charleston, South Carolina, Atlanta, Georgia, Chesapeake, Virginia, and have made countless trips to the lake; in the midst of all this traveling, I have been working at Richland Creek Animal Hospital to gain experience for my future career.

Preparing for graduating from college and applying to vet school are both processes that I began well before my senior year of college.  Preparing for vet school at the University of Georgia has been an ongoing process throughout my scholastic career. As a minimum requirement for the University of Georgia's Vet School, an applicant has to have a minimum of 350 hours of experience in the field. Well, for the past few years, I have been working on just that -- gaining experience.


Through my job this summer, not only have I gained some cash for books and other college needs, but I have also gained many priceless pieces of knowledge. I have been trained to administer vaccines and draw blood and have enjoyed many other great learning experiences at the animal hospital.  Over the years of preparation for my future degree(s), I have observed many different surgical procedures including declaws, spays, neuters, amputations, tooth removals, tail dockings, and intestinal obstruction removals; all of these add to my desire to become a veterinarian. I still have a long way to go to be fully prepared for applying to vet school, but I have accepted the challenge, and now I'm striving for my dream one step at a time. I hope that any of you reading this would realize one thing:  all dreams require hard, persistent work.


But enough of work, work, and more work; in my life there is always time for play. During the days I have had off, I have taken the time to go fishing, swimming, kayaking, and hiking. I have visited friends in Atlanta and Cocoa Beach, spending some needed time just enjoying the beach and city life, as well as enjoying time with family on the intercoastal waterways of Charleston crabbing, fishing, and cast netting. My summer has also included a visit to Athens, Georgia, where a Ferrum friend and I made a special trip to the University of Georgia, the Georgia Aquarium, the CNN building, and the Centennial Park. Of course, I can't forget the event that kicked my summer off:  representing Ferrum College at Norfolk State University for the Virginia Academy of Science Conference for my research work on bacteria and antibiotics.


All in all, this summer has been one of the best. I am anxiously anticipating the start of my junior year at Ferrum College, and I can't wait to see what Ferrum has in store for all of us this year. Just remember:  always make room for some fun in between the hard work for the future. Life is all about balance, as it will be again this school year when it comes to my classes and social life!

No comments:

Post a Comment