Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Bones and Bodies

by Blake S., Panther Blogger
 
As I had mentioned in my last blog post, I signed up to participate in the Ferrum College E-Term course titled "The Science of Crime," and WOW, what an experience!  This was by far one of the best college courses I have taken. Each and every day, we were able to implement various tactics and techniques that are used in crime scene television shows such as Forensic Files, CSI, and Bones.  From the analysis of fingerprints to testing unknown drug substances, we were able to reconstruct events that may have occurred at various crime scenes as well as identify suspects of the crime.
Analyzing cranial measurements
to determine an individual's
physical characteristics.

Of the numerous activities and labs that we participated in, the trip to the University of Tennessee's Forensic Anthropology Research Facility was the biggest highlight of the course. At this research facility, we learned how to identify the age, gender, stature, and ancestry of an individual based solely on skeletal remains. We also were privileged with the honor of being able to tour the "Body Farm," which is the area where forensic anthropology college graduate students perform experiments to study changes in human decomposition rates. It was an experience that I will not soon forget!

Our group outside the UT football stadium


The sun sphere in Knoxville, TN
While on this trip, I was also able to bond with and get to know my fellow classmates much better. We were able to spend a lot of time socializing while at restaurants, walking around the campus streets, shopping, and swimming at the hotel pool. I made quite a few new friends, which will make the upcoming year at Ferrum even more enjoyable. I can, without a doubt, say that my Ferrum College E-Term experience was amazing and definitely a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!




No comments:

Post a Comment