Monday, July 28, 2014

Things Change: It's Normal!

by Dannica B., Panther Blogger

Now we all know college is all about education and earning a degree, but we also know social life is a big part of surviving four years of college!  As a first semester freshman, the highlight of my week was watching Love Actually in my dorm room.  Yes, pathetic, right?  I had no social life.  I had friends, but I never really did anything except play Uno with my hall mates.  Every event that took place sounded "lame" and I just wanted the comfort of my bed and the taste of ramen noodles in my mouth.  That was my Friday night.  Yes, I did adventure out of my room sometimes, but nothing extraordinary ever occurred.  I didn't want to do anything and I'm not sure why.  I guess I missed home too much?  Maybe that seemed to be a valid excuse, but in reality, I was scared.  The innocence of my freshman mind couldn't bear the thought of growing up and becoming a responsible adult.

But then it hit me. It was time to grow up, it was time to do that pile of laundry sitting under my bed, and it was time to go to the cafe instead of eating ramen noodles for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  It's not easy growing up, but at some point in life, we all have to "cut the umbilical cord" and become an independent person and take responsibility.  The future is going to be different than you imagine, and the friends we have now may no longer be our friends later.  The things we think we like now may turn out to be the things we begin to dislike later and you have to actually leave your dorm room to find who you really are.

My second semester was much better. I got a job, joined a sorority, became a student ambassador and a Panther Blogger, and I got so much more involved with Ferrum College that I felt more at home.  Being more involved with the college you attend makes everything so much easier.  I'm a different person than who I was when I first came to Ferrum. I'm more confident in myself and I put myself out there and became a part of the Ferrum community.  After all, it was the Ferrum community who brought me out of my shell and I couldn't be more thankful!  So remember, things change:  it's normal!

No comments:

Post a Comment