Tuesday, September 13, 2016

My Health and Human Performance Internship: A Summer Well Spent

By Brandon Hooks '17


As a student majoring in Health and Human Performance, I had the great opportunity to serve as intern at Athletic Lab, in Cary, North Carolina during this past summer. The experience under Athletic Lab’s founder, Dr. Michael Young was phenomenal. The hands-on work, independent research, and workshops afforded me the opportunity to grasp many skills and ideologies about being an athletic performance coach. I also had the opportunity to design and defend a program to raise athletic performance for a certain type of college prospect athlete.

Dr. Young gave lectures weekly about things he has learned and strategies for helping a client out when trying to reach a goal such as if somebody was trying to learn how to be faster and sprint better. I learned a lot about CrossFit, which was new to me because I have never been in a primarily CrossFit type gym before. Also during the course of my internship, I did research and wrote a total of four blogs on various topics. I wrote about whether kettlebell swings are effective in a full body workout; whether CrossFit is really good for you; whether using gymnastic rings is the new way of improving body strength; and whether adrenaline enhances athletic performance.

The entire internship was very challenging and rewarding. I was able to utilize a combination of kinesthetic, social, and solitary learning styles to successfully navigate the internship. The internship experience as a part of my academic plan at Ferrum College will certainly assist me in making career choices as I approach graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment