Friday, November 22, 2013

National Collegiate Honors Council in New Orleans!

by Jessa K., Panther Blogger

On Wednesday, Nov. 6th, myself along with two fellow students and two faculty members traveled to New Orleans, Lousiana to attend the National Collegiate Honors Council (NCHC).  Our first full day in New Orleans was spent participating in a program called City as Text. This event is used to help students become more familiar with the city where the conference is held.  My City as Text destination was the Presbytere, focusing on Mardi Gras.  My group learned all about the history of Mardi Gras from its conception through today.  We learned about the importance of costumes and how the different groups who throw trinkets to the crowds came to be.


After our time at the Presbytere, we went to Café du Monde for lunch where we had Café au Lait and beignettes.

The next day, I presented at one of the student poster sessions.  My poster encompassed the research that I worked on about The Taming of the Shrew during the previous spring semester. After my poster session, I attended two other sessions:  one about writing newsletters within the honors program and another about the over-involved student. All three sessions were extremely informative and I was able to not only bring back new knowledge for myself but also for the honors program.


On Thursday and Friday night, we all went out to local restaurants to get an authentic taste of New Orleans.  One night during one of our outings, we ran into Aaron Sanchez, a celebrity judge on the show Chopped.  We were all too chicken to approach him except for Paige, who walked right up to him and asked for a photograph.  I am so glad she did because my mom, who is a major fan of the show, was able to see the picture.


Our trip to New Orleans for the NCHC was one of the best I've had so far at Ferrum. I had fun, I made new friends from all across the country, I was able to work on my professional skills in a low-stress environment, and I also learned that I really do not take enough pictures of everything (thanks, Paige, for letting me use all of your great pictures).  I have already started working on literary research to present at next year's conference in Denver, Colorado!

No comments:

Post a Comment