Friday, February 22, 2013

Fire, Fire, Fire!

by Caleb T., Panther Blogger

Hey y'all,

I know it's been awhile since I last posted, but I have been doing so much on campus and also throughout the community of Ferrum. As some of you may know, I am the sergeant at Ferrum Rescue and also a member of Henry Fire Department. Well, on top of taking classes at Ferrum, I also try to take classes through Franklin County Public Safety, such as Vehicle Extraction, Firefighter 1, HAZ-MAT Operation, and many more.

This past fall, I had the opportunity to take Firefighter 1, and it was great.  Throughout the class, we had hands-on learning opportunities, but none as fun as our final burn.  Our final burn was the time when we took everything we had learned and applied it...in a real fire!  Talk about trial by fire!  I love my job as a firefighter/EMT, but the first time I got to go into a 1100-degree room, all I can say is WOW!  It was amazing!!  The feeling I got being in that burning room was one like I have never had before -- it was a mixture of fear, courage, and honor all collided into an amazing feeling. In that moment, the textbook might as well fly out the window, and the countless hours of training take over and everything becomes purely instinctive.  When you are face to face with a wall of flames, it is truly an experience like none I've ever had.

I have loved my time here at Ferrum because it has allowed me a chance to branch out and try things that I might not have otherwise tried. I have loved expanding my knowledge within the classroom but also within the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment