Tuesday, February 19, 2013

My Internship Experiences

by Maryann C., Panther Blogger

During my last semester here at Ferrum College, I have been doing two internships with the Franklin County Public School System. I have been working with a fifth-grade class at Ferrum Elementary for one of those internships. I have really enjoyed working with these kids. So far, I have administered a spelling test, helped students work on writing essays and helped students make corrections to their essays. I also have been assigned to work with one student on her reading comprehension. I have just started working with her, and we are in the process of figuring out where she is in her understanding of reading and writing. Working with this young student on an individual level is going to be a great experience for both her and me. I have never worked with this age group in an academic setting and it is truly a great experience.

My second internship through the Franklin County School System is at the Gereau Center. I am in the process of working with fellow classmates, faculty here at Ferrum College, and faculty at the Gereau Center. We are working to create lesson plans incorporating data that the CEED building collects. So far this has been a very different and challenging experience. Trying to figure out how to incorporate real data into a lesson plan has proven to be challenging. However, I have just recently finished my first lesson plan and I am very pleased with it. I hope that it will get easier now that I am starting to get the hang of it. Working with my assigned faculty member has been a great experience as well. She is very helpful and resourceful. I am looking forward to see what other types of lesson plans my fellow classmates and I come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment