Thursday, October 24, 2013

Hello from New Panther Blogger Jessa!

by Jessa K., Panther Blogger

Hi!  My name is Jessa.  I am from a small town in southwestern Virginia named Cana. It is very similar to the Ferrum Community. I am an English major with a minor in Spanish, and I am a sophomore at Ferrum College.  I intend to get my doctorate degree and teach college-level literature.

I heard about Ferrum during my sophomore year of high school because my best friend was looking at colleges and had fallen in love with Ferrum. As I drew closer to my senior year, I too began to receive information from Ferrum College. I found out that I qualified for the Boone Honors academic scholarship.  I actually applied to Ferrum as my back-up school in case my two first-choice schools did not work out, and they didn't.  However, I tell people all the time that Ferrum is my blessing in disguise.  While it was not my first choice, it has become my home. I love walking down the sidewalk and being able to say hello to all of my professors!  I was able to do literary research as a freshman and participate in two conferences with my findings. I find myself calling Ferrum home more and more.  There is honestly no place in this world where I would rather be receiving my education.

I am very involved on the Ferrum campus.  I am the founder and president of the Ferrum College Lions Branch Club. It is a service-based organization that focuses on health. I am also the secretary of the Spanish Club. This club is also a community service organization with a focus on the Hispanic community.  I am a member of the Boone Honors Program. I am also an Admissions Ambassador for the Ferrum College Admission's Office.  Being so involved in the Ferrum College community has allowed me to fully enjoy my college career so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment