Friday, October 4, 2013

The Beginning of a New Family at Ferrum College

by Tori, Freshman Scholar and Guest Blogger

On Sunday, August 4th, 2013, I spent a two and a half hour car ride gripping my steering wheel way too tightly.  At the end of that car ride, I would be moving into a dorm with people I'd never met before and living with them for two weeks as a Freshman Scholar. I was terrified.  I spent quite some time thinking about everything that could possibly go wrong. Making new friends makes me anxious, and being judged by other people scares me. At some point in the drive, probably about ten minutes from Ferrum's campus, I told myself that I was just going to relax and let come what may.  I don't think I ever could have guessed the greeting I got.


I was welcomed into my dorm by an incredibly nice group of staff members. Other freshmen were in and out of the dorm, looking just as nervous as I was (which made me feel like I wasn't alone at all). By the end of the first night, I had already learned the names and personalities of most of the people I was going to be around. Within the next two days, I found myself in a group of friends who helped me through my anxiety.  I forgot about how people would perceive me, and instead spent my time having the most fun I could possibly have had during those two weeks. I laughed so hard I cried, I spent hours in stores for no reason other than to run around in the toy section, and I even shared a friend's birthday at a local restaurant.

Not only that, but the professors involved in the Freshman Scholars Program were all ready to help any way they could. Knowing that I am welcome in a professor's office any time I need them makes me feel like there isn't a huge gap between staff and students. And really, that's a quality I've seen throughout the campus so far.  We're a family here.  And I, for one, couldn't have picked a better group of people to spend the next four years with.

No comments:

Post a Comment