Monday, May 21, 2012

Greetings from Ferrum College Student Blogger, Maryann!

By Maryann C., Panther Blogger

My name is Maryann and I am a senior at Ferrum College. I am from Sterling, VA, which is not far from Washington D.C. I am working toward a major in Biology with minors in Chemistry and Secondary Education. My short-term goal is to graduate next spring. One of my long-term goals is to find a teaching job after graduation where I can make science fun and exciting for my students.

I found out about Ferrum College at a college fair when I was in high school. I was looking for a small college with a pre-professional science major. At the time, I wanted to become a veterinarian. I also wanted a school where I could play soccer but still have time to do what I wanted to do. I knew that a big school was not for me, so I came to Ferrum.

At first, I had some reservations about coming to Ferrum, but once I came here, I soon grew to love Ferrum! There are a lot of different things I love about Ferrum College. One thing I love about it here is the faculty and staff. Teachers are always trying their best to help students in any way they can. I can name multiple scenarios when a teacher was willing to work with me so I could succeed. The many other faculty and staff who work on campus are also very helpful and friendly.

Ferrum College is a great school and is preparing me for the future each and every semester. The best example I can think of is in my goal of becoming a teacher. I have taken many Education classes here at Ferrum College. Each semester that a student takes an EDU class, 40 hours of internship at a public school are required. Forty hours seems like a lot, and yes it can be difficult, but the benefits are so worth it. Since I have been in the Franklin County Public School system doing internships for three years now, I know that I actually want to be a teacher. Plus, I am gaining experiences that many other teacher education students at other schools are not getting. This will help me to stand out more when I apply for a teaching position.

There are so many different ways to get involved here at Ferrum. I am currently on the women’s soccer team. I have also run for the women’s cross country team in the past. I am president of a club called Sisters Serving Christ. I have also been a part of our Orientation Team, which works with the freshmen on Gateway Weekend. I have also played many of the intramural sports offered during the year, such as basketball, soccer and volleyball. What is so great about Ferrum College is that it’s easy to find clubs that interest you; if there is a club you want to be a part of but that is not already at Ferrum, you can easily make a club.


I have created so many wonderful memories here at Ferrum College, so it’s hard to pick just one to talk about. I can’t wait to see what new memories will be made during my last year here.

No comments:

Post a Comment