Wednesday, May 2, 2012

So Much To Do at Ferrum!

By Darryl, Panther Blogger

I’ve spent the first part of my adult life at Ferrum, and because of this, I’ve experienced so many new things to keep myself entertained.

I’ve come to the realization that I love to fish. Sometimes, I don’t always catch big ones, but it’s not the size of the fish that counts — it’s the fight. I only say this when someone catches something bigger than me. Ferrum is smack dab in the middle of two lakes, Fairy Stone and Smith Mountain. They both have amazing scenery and great people.

If you’re into water sports, this is your place to go to college; you can take sailing and scuba diving classes, and a lot more. Sailing is my weakness: I want to buy a boat and travel down the coast sometime in the near future.

If you’re not into water sports, we are on a mountain. There are many great hiking opportunities; McAfee’s Knob is one of the most photographed trails on the Appalachian Trail, and it’s less than an hour away. There are also countless trails that go around the campus where you can catch views of native wildlife and just get away from your studies for a while.

Most photographed spot on McAfee’s Knob
For those who aren’t outdoors people at all, there’s always Roanoke, Blacksburg, or Martinsville for more adventure. Roanoke is one of the biggest cities around us; it has everything you could possibly think of, including diverse restaurants, multiple malls, and the best part: CHIPOTLE! Chipotle is another one of my weakness, and when Chipotle came to Roanoke, my trips there quickly increased tenfold. Blacksburg is the home of Virginia Tech, so you can always go buy a ticket, round up some friends, and go see a Virginia Tech game. I know there are a lot of NASCAR fans out there; I’m partial to Jimmy Johnson. The NASCAR races at the Martinsville Speedway are always a big event around Ferrum. You have opportunities to volunteer at the race and have a fantastic time.

Ferrum is an awesome college to attend! There are great opportunities to get yourself out there and experience things that you haven’t been able to before. So don’t be shy or timid and experience everything you can because the best years of your life will fly by.

No comments:

Post a Comment