Friday, September 28, 2012

Greetings from Ferrum College Student Blogger, Cari!

by Cari A., Panther Blogger
 

My name is Cari. I am freshman here at Ferrum, and I am from Salem, Virginia. I have big goals in life: I plan to complete my undergraduate studies, attend medical school, and become a doctor. I am not exactly sure what kind of doctor just yet, but I know it’s what I want to do.

Being pretty local, I knew about Ferrum College but never thought to apply until my high school guidance teacher suggested it. I would look at pictures of the campus and some of the activities, and I knew that Ferrum's location was drawing me in. I was born in the city, but my whole family is from Oklahoma, so I am a country girl deep down. I also saw and read about some of the things that go on in the community and activities that students do for their community to help out. I have always been inclined to help others as if it were a second nature. I am a Virginia-certified Emergency Medical Technician, and I love every minute of it.

I love Ferrum's small campus and class sizes; after only a few weeks of school, I feel like my professors already know my name and are getting keyed into my habits. Unlike Virginia Tech or University of Virginia where there are 300 plus students in a class, having only 20 or 30 in a class is less overwhelming and you can feel more comfortable with asking questions and getting engaged in the discussion. I can already tell that the level of education that I will have obtained after my four years here at Ferrum are going to help me immensely in my studies to become a doctor.

This past August, I was selected to be a Freshman Scholar, and that is where I really found my passion for the outdoors and when my eyes were really opened to my potential work-study job. Because of my time as a Freshman Scholar, I am now an employee for Ferrum Outdoors. I am also on the Rock Climbing Team here. You may say… we have a rock climbing team? Well the answer is YES! Yes, we do! It’s brand new and we are ready to represent Ferrum College. I am also a part of the Rec club and the Minds-n-Medicine club. I am currently taking a SCUBA diving class, so if you see a girl in a wetsuit walking around campus, it’s probably me! I haven’t been at Ferrum very long, but by far, my favorite memories are from the Scholars program. The opportunity to work with 11 other students and 9 professors for 2 weeks really leaves you with a lot of lifetime memories and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment