Saturday, September 29, 2012

Some of God's Greatest Gifts are Unanswered Prayers

by Laken P., Panther Blogger
 
Sometimes we spend our entire lives wishing, hoping, and praying for everything to go exactly according to our individual life plan. When God’s plans and our arrangements don’t coincide, heartbreak and struggle are often inevitable in the short-term moments, but in the end, we ultimately realize that the outcome far surpasses any scenario that we could have personally formulated. The story of how I came to Ferrum College is an exact example of God having other plans in store for my life that would lead to be some of the best experiences I have ever had.

My name is Laken. I am a sophomore and a double major in Pre-Professional Science and Health & Human Performances. After graduating from Ferrum, I plan to further my education by attending medical school and eventually becoming an orthopedic surgeon with a specialty in sports medicine. I am a member of the Ferrum Cheerleading team, the Minds-n-Medicine Club, Panther Productions, Delta Phi Epsilon sorority, Admissions Student Ambassadors, and the Boone Honors Program.



Since I am involved in so many clubs and organizations and have such a love for my school, no one would have ever guessed that I didn’t initially plan on coming to Ferrum. While looking back and reflecting on my college application process, I realize that I am beyond blessed that I made FC my final choice. I have only been on campus a little over a month, and I have already made friendships and memories that will carry on through the rest of my life. I have quickly learned that choosing Ferrum was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The students are friendly, the professors are helpful, and the atmosphere is beyond ideal. No matter what your personal interests or academic goals are, Ferrum will easily be one of the best decisions you make. When you come to Ferrum, you are not just a student; you become a member of the family. I know God led me here to become a missing hole in the Ferrum Family, and I hope you will one day be led down the same path.




In the end, college is about finding yourself, growing in your knowledge, and making memories that you will never forget. The saying “Everything happens for a reason,” could never hold more true. Between cheering on the Panthers at that first victory of the season, rushing DPhiE, making late night pizza runs, planning campus activities, making new friends and attending study groups, I truly have fallen in love with Ferrum and everything it has to offer. Maybe attending Ferrum is the sole top spot on your list, or maybe it is just a fall back plan. Either way, schedule a visit and become involved; Ferrum will grow on you and you will never want to leave.



No comments:

Post a Comment