Thursday, October 30, 2014

Explore Your Opportunities!

by Dannica B., Panther Blogger

At Ferrum College, there are so many fabulous opportunities, such as studying abroad, E-Terms, different courses, internships, and so much more!  I am only a sophomore here at Ferrum and I already feel like I am so involved with the school.  From Greek life to clubs, I am forever busy, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I love everything I do here at Ferrum and I know that at the end of the day, everything I do will be so rewarding for me.  A major benefit to doing so much is it looks so fantastic on your resume. It's one thing to say you graduated with a degree, but it's the little details that count. The opportunities you take make you unique and that's what employers look for. Ferrum College makes sure its students have access to great opportunities!

Since I am only a first-semester sophomore, I haven't had much opportunity to travel abroad and do internships yet. Even though I've always had the particular mindset that I would do an internship when I became an upperclassman, I took a risk and applied to the Disney College Program.  I found out about this program from one of Ferrum's campus-wide emails. I had little to no confidence that I would get in because I figured I was too young and inexperienced.  I was completely wrong because I got an interview the same day I applied, and a few weeks later, I got an acceptance email into the program!  I think that was one of the happiest days of my life because who doesn't want to intern at Disney?!

It was so easy to apply; it was like a regular college application.  When they review your application, they offer you an online interview, and if they're interested in you, they offer you a phone interview. Then after a few weeks, you will find out if you were accepted or not.  I do have a few experiences that I believe helped me get the internship.  The more you do, the better and more interesting you will be to potential employers. If you're interested in possibly interning for Disney, just visit www.disneycollegeprogram.com.

I am so excited for my internship!  From January to June next semester, I will be working in the restaurants and the outdoor carts, and there are so many benefits to this internship.  I will earn a small stipend for the internship which will pay for my housing, and I will earn credits toward my major at Ferrum for the classes I take at Disney. I know it will be a fantastic experience and will be such a great resume-builder.  It will give me good experience working outdoors and working with people from all over the country, which I know will help prepare me for a future career in outdoor events!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment