Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Keeping the Connection

by Rachel W., Panther Blogger

As a senior, I have been feeling very overwhelmed.  The fear of failure is weighing heavy on my heart. Even though I have never failed a class, the realization that it is my last year at Ferrum and I do not have time to fix any mistakes is kind-of a scary thought.  Through all of the anxiety, I found myself thinking, I'm not the first senior social work major! There have been a ton of people who have graduated before me!

Luckily, being in a small school has allowed me to make a ton of friends not only in my class but also in the classes above and below me.  A friend and alumna of Ferrum College saw a Facebook post about how overwhelmed I was and invited me to go to dinner with her.  After several reschedules and lots of phone calls and text messages, we finally met up at Hema's (a local Italian restaurant) just to catch up!

She asked me how school was going and I found myself pouring out all of my problems, fears, and frustrations!  The best part was that she understood it all because she had also gone through the Social Work Program and graduated just last year.  She understood the frustrations I was having in my research class and how everything simply seemed overwhelming.

She not only listened, but she gave me some great advice!  Take it one assignment at a time. When you have multiple large projects going on, it seems very hard to look at things in small chunks.  Emily encouraged me to take it one assignment at a time, and once I started to look at it like that, it didn't seem so difficult.

We also got the chance to talk about plans for after my graduation, including grad school and working.  It was nice to hear what a recent graduate had to say about some of the programs I had been looking at.

In a nutshell, it is so important to keep in contact with your alumni friends!  They have been there, done that, and got the t-shirt...diploma!  They can help ease your worries and make you realize that there is life after graduation and help you see how lovely that life can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment