Thursday, March 28, 2013

Academic Studies at Ferrum

by Chang S., Panther Blogger

I want to briefly talk about my perspectives in terms of academic studies at Ferrum.

Though Ferrum is a smaller school, there is still a lot you can do with your academic research and studies. As a matter of fact, we have some pretty awesome programs here. In particular, I would say that the business department is one of the best among all. First of all, the business program was one of the original programs offered when Ferrum College was formed, and it is still one of the best programs here at Ferrum. Professors in the business department are well-experienced in their teaching. Moreover, year after year, the professors accumulate the critical and valuable case projects used during class sessions, thus making their teaching unique and effective. For instance, Dr. Angel uses a number of real-life circumstances in day-to-day businesses, which are pretty accurate and helpful. Plus, in order to keep us up-to-date with current events, she also frequently asks for our opinions about hot topics and issues from either the political world or in the business field. I believe all of these efforts great contribute to preparing us for a future career.

Additionally, I would say that Ferrum always has sufficient assistance for personal study. In my opinion, this is the best part of studying here. Our library may not be as extravagant as others, but our library resources are excellent and sufficient for our research purposes. Downstairs from the library, we also have our ARC (Academic Resource Center), which offers group study sessions and PAL (Peer Assistant Learner) tutor sessions. These are among the most helpful ways to get students involved with their studies since we discuss our learning experiences with the tutors or fellow schoolmates. Plus, the free coffee in the ARC helps us stay awake when preparing for tests!

Being a tutor myself, I have been working with Math 100 and Math 111 students. It has been a great time for me to teach the students who come prepared with their problems. I especially enjoy the feeling when I see these students have their questions solved. Although there is not usually a large number of students who come by to ask for help, those who do come always get the help they need. From time to time, I have wondered why more students don't take advantage of getting extra assistance, but in the end, it is our own choice to make for our studies.

Personally, I have kept my 4.0 GPA since I was a freshman -- not because the grade itself gives me some kind of honor or sense of pride, but mostly because I am responsible for reaching the goals I have set for myself by doing the things that I am capable of.  And I believe every single person can achieve his/her goals by doing everything they are capable of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment