Thursday, March 14, 2013

Hello from New Panther Blogger, Blake!

by Blake S., Panther Blogger

Hello, everyone!  My name is Blake, and I am a transfer student here at Ferrum College. I am majoring in Biology and double-minoring in Chemistry and Forensic Science. I would like to first introduce myself by telling you about how and why I decided to attend Ferrum College.

I was born and raised in Bristol, Virginia, where I graduated from John S. Battle High School. Upon my graduation, I knew that I wanted to attend college but was not sure where I wanted to go. Having already completed a year of dual enrollment classes, my final decision was to attend my local community college, Virginia Highlands Community College, and obtain my Associate Degree in Science.

A few months before graduating from Virginia Highlands, I knew it was time for me to begin searching for a four-year college that I could attend to obtain a bachelor's degree. I started my search with the Community College's transfer agreement list. This was a list of local colleges that Virginia Highlands had collaborated with to provide special benefits for graduating students who wanted to transfer to a 4-year college.  A few of these benefits included not having to pay a college application fee, having all of the obtained college credits transferred, and receiving a small scholarship.

Performing microbiological independent research at Ferrum
Ferrum College, alongside many other colleges and universities, was on the transfer agreement list. The reason that Ferrum College sparked my interest is because it was a small college, it was away from home, and it had a great biology program. There were also a number of opportunities present at Ferrum that were not available at other colleges.

The inaugural class of the Freshman
Scholar's Program.
At this point in my life, I was positive that biology was what I wanted to study. I thoroughly enjoyed both the biology and chemistry classes that I had taken thus far, and I wanted to further my education in these two areas. I was also ready for the experiences of living away from home and having to support myself while studying at the same time. There were many other colleges that could have fulfilled these two requirements I needed, however, Ferrum College, more so than any of the other colleges on the transfer agreement list, promoted numerous programs and resume-building opportunities. A few of these that struck my interest included the Freshman Scholar's Program, the E-Term experience, and being able to perform undergraduate independent research.  Ferrum College also promoted their fraternities and sororities on campus, numerous clubs, and the Ferrum Outdoors Program.

Desperately wanting to be able to branch out and participate in new experiences, I knew that Ferrum College was the place where I wanted to be. After attending a single Panther Preview (open house) and meeting a few of the professors and students, I made the final decision that Ferrum College would be my home for the next two years. This was a huge future-determining decision that I made, and I have yet to regret a single moment of it.

The top of McAfee's Knob near Roanoke after a day of hiking
I strongly encourage prospective students to explore the Ferrum College website, and browse the numerous opportunities available here. Also, attend an open house event and visit the college campus to speak with a few of the professors and students. This is the best way to figure out if Ferrum is the right college for you. If you have any questions about the opportunities and programs offered here at Ferrum, do not hesitate to ask.

- Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment