Friday, February 14, 2014

A Visit from My Best Friend!

by Jessa K., Panther Blogger

This past weekend, I was fortunate enough to have my mom come and stay with me for the weekend.  A few classmates asked me on Friday what I would be doing and I could not help but giggle at their faces when I told them.  I am pretty sure they thought I was crazy to actually want to spend the entire weekend with my mom.  My case, however, is a little bit different.  My mom is my best friend.  In fact, the hardest part of being at school is not having her around.  Being able to spend this time together was something that was really special for both of us.


While most students look forward to visits from their parents because that means they will finally have groceries, I was looking forward to catching up with my closest friend.  Mom and I spent the weekend walking around campus, shopping, and watching movies.  It was not a big to-do and we did not even stay up past 11, but it was one of the best weekends I have had at Ferrum.  I was able to show Mom all of the places that I spend my time.  From the cafe to Britt Hall, she got to see everything.  On Sunday morning, we ate at 77's and she was able to get a bit of a taste for the town of Ferrum as well, literally and figuratively.

Ferrum is my home away from home and I have known that since my first day on campus, but for me, my true home has always been where my mom was.  Through a divorce and a marriage, Mom and I have moved quite a few times, but as long as we have been together, we have been "home."  Being able to have home at home this past weekend was awesome!  As a freshman last year, my biggest fear about moving to Ferrum was how in the world I was going to make it without Mom there every day.  Not to wake me up or do my laundry, but just to give me the support I needed.  While nobody will ever replace her in my life, I feel so blessed to know that I have friends and professors who come pretty close to par with Mom through their friendship and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment