Friday, February 28, 2014

Hello Readers!

by Sarah H., Panther Blogger

My name is Sarah!  I'm currently enrolled as a sophomore here at Ferrum College and double majoring in Criminal Justice and Social Work.  I was born and raised in Christiansburg, VA and love living in the mountains!  I have quite a big family that lives all over, and they're all a big part of my life. My friends back home and the many friends I've met here at Ferrum have made living away from home so much easier.

At first, I had only heard of Ferrum College once or twice.  After getting a phone call from them regarding a scholarship, I decided to check it out...man, was that worth it!  The moment I arrived on campus, I knew this was the place for me.  It felt so much like home and everyone I met made it just that much more worth it!  My admissions counselor gave me a tour around campus.  At the end of the day, both my mom and I knew that this was the campus for me.  I was ready to spend the next four years here!

My family and I on move-in day!
During the tour, I met Dr. Mead and Dr. Osborne.  While talking to Dr. Mead, I not only found a professor who was familiar with my hometown, but I met an amazing professor who has helped guide me through my first year of college.  When I was applying for college, I had NO IDEA what it was that I wanted to do.  After meeting and talking with Dr. Osborne, I have finally figure it out.  I am now gearing toward becoming a Juvenile Corrections Officer!

Although Ferrum isn't in the middle of a big city, there is much to do on campus!  I stay busy with many different organizations and clubs. I am currently a part of the Criminal Justice Club, Social Work Club, our new Color Guard team, and Journalism.  There is also a shuttle that goes to and from Roanoke, so there's plenty to do!

Best friend & I running Color Me Rad in Blacksburg
Not only do I have a few friends from back home here at Ferrum, I have made so many new friends!  They've all become such a huge part of my life and I always miss them so much over breaks.  The best part is that they're always only a phone call away!

Ferrum has been such a life-changing experience, and I hope you enjoy it as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment