Friday, April 13, 2012

See you out there!

BY CALEB, PANTHER BLOGGER

Hey y’all!

During my first year here at Ferrum so far, I have been involved in many things as y’all know, but two of the biggest things for me are the Ferrum Rec Club and also Ferrum Outdoors. The Rec Club is one of many clubs on campus; we do a lot of fun outdoor activities, like night paddles, night zip lines, hikes, climbing trips, camping, and much more. It has been so much fun for me because it has given me the opportunity to do some things that I may not ever get to do outside of college. The Rec Club is always doing something: on any given day, you can find our members playing a round of disc golf or heading out on a hike. This club is really spontaneous unlike other clubs that carefully plan out what they are going to; the Rec Club is more like when someone wants to do something, we do it. Not to say that we don’t have organization—we do—we just want to have fun and introduce people to things that they may not normally get to do.

Ferrum Outdoors is a program here on campus that goes on some amazing trips and gives you opportunities to get out and enjoy the natural beauty that surrounds the Ferrum campus. One of the first times I did anything with Ferrum Outdoors was at the beginning of last semester when they had a night zip, which is when we go up to the high ropes course at night. Now I know that seems a bit crazy and almost unsafe, but trust me, it’s really not. The Ferrum Outdoors staff makes sure everything is safe before they put anyone on the course. You’re up 30 feet in the air going through the course, and then at the end of the course you have a 350-foot zip-line! Sounds crazy maybe, but it’s worth it. It’s so much fun!

Daytime zip trip
Another thing that has kept me coming back for more and more is the fact that I learn something new every time, and the staff and people in the clubs are willing to explain things if you don’t understand how to do something. I love spending time with everyone that is involved in the outdoor programs.

Well, I guess that is about it for now. If y’all have any questions about the outdoor programs here at Ferrum, please let me know. Hope y’all have a good one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment