Monday, April 16, 2012

Swimmers, Take Your Mark...

BY ANNELEISSE, PANTHER BLOGGER

Swimming has been in my life since I can remember. I have been on 5 different teams throughout my lifetime and never did I think we, as a first-year team, were going to be able to accomplish what we accomplished. Thanks to swimming here at Ferrum, I have already had enough great experiences to carry a bucket full of memories.

Our team consisted of five other girls besides me: Katie, who was our only senior on our team and took part of Kappa Alpha Sigma; Kara, a junior who was able to divide her time between swimming, soccer and school; Morgan, a sophomore who also plays softball for Ferrum and is part of Theta Gamma Omega; Lauren, a.k.a “Little Lauren,” is part of Kappa Alpha and is a first-year club swimmer who improved so much throughout the season; and Erin, who may be the sweetest, nicest girl I have ever met. These girls made my experience on the team so much more worth it, and once again, I’d like to take the opportunity to say “GREAT JOB LADIES!”
 Me with two of my teammates
We were able to accomplish much more than just beating our opponents but also improving our times and making new friends. This season consisted of nine meets: three away and the rest home, as well as a training trip. For our training trip, we were down in Florida for a week where we got to practice with bigger, stronger teams. This might be my favorite memory because we did get to go as a team and leave Virginia. Besides that, it was a great way to bond and get to meet my teammates better. All this wouldn’t have been possible without our amazing coach, Lindsay DeLaRosby, who has been both our coach and our friend.
International Hall of Fame Pool in Florida
Practicing 6 days a week and having morning practices can get crazy with trying to manage school work and getting other activities done. Being a student athlete here at Ferrum was not as bad as I thought it would be; no one said it was going to be easy, but thanks to all the help the school offers – from PAL tutors to instructors’ office hours where you can get individual help – I was able to make it onto the Dean’s List. The secret to not overwhelming yourself with stressing out over homework is starting on it when an assignment is first assigned and not doing it the night before it’s due.

If you decide to come to Ferrum, I really do recommend you try out for a team or participate in intramurals. It adds so much more to your college experience and the student body is great at coming out to support.
Night out in Florida with my teammates
Thanks for reading and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me!

Anneleisse

No comments:

Post a Comment