Friday, September 20, 2013

Settling In

by Chris L., Panther Blogger

I have been at Ferrum College now for just over 2 weeks. The first thing that has taken me a while to adjust to is the heat. Back home in Northern Ireland, it rains almost every day and we very rarely get a full day of sun shine. Our summer consists of day after day of rain, and we rarely have temperatures over 20 degrees Celsius. I am looking forward to the winter as I am not used to this heat!

Another issue I have had to adjust to is the timetable. Back home at my university during my first two years, I was only in college two/three day a week.  Over here, I am in class every day, although it is only for a couple of hours, and then the rest of the day I can spend doing things I like. I have completed as many assignments in the past two weeks here as I have in 1 year at university at home. We do not have to complete that many assignments as they only count as a small percentage of my overall mark for the year. Exams are more important at home.


On Friday the 7th of September, I attended the free bowling night in Rocky Mount with the other international students. Although I am not very good at bowling, it was still good "craic" (craic in Northern Ireland means "fun").  I often say "what's the craic" to people and get weird looks, but it actually means "How are you".

Last weekend, I watched my first American football game and I did not understand it one bit. I couldn't believe how long the matches take -- it took around 1 hour and 30 minutes to get to half time!  Hopefully, by the end of the year, I will understand it a bit better though. Back home, I play rugby, so it was good to actually see an American football game in person to see how it differs.

No comments:

Post a Comment