Friday, September 13, 2013

Finding My Niche at Ferrum College

(Megan worked on the cAMP Levels in Eschericia coli and Mycobacterium smegmatis project with faculty mentor Dr. Michaela Gazdik during the 2nd annual Freshman Scholars Program in summer 2013.)

by Megan C., Freshman Scholar and Guest Blogger

Hello!  My name is Megan, and I am from Yorktown, Virginia.  Let me begin with how much of a blast I am having here at Ferrum!  I am already finding my niche in this place, and I can't believe how awesome the people are here, especially the professors. They are truthfully the best. I really enjoy being around them, and (surprise) they are actually real people.  They all care so much about our education, and they want us to have the best experience that we can at college.

My favorite thing about the professors here at Ferrum College is that they are not only our mentors, but they are also our friends. I had only been on campus for a week and a half for the Freshman Scholars Program this summer, and I felt like I had known them my whole life.  They engage actively with the students, and even eat lunch with us sometimes. They are into pop culture, and they are just as quirky and amazing as we are.  The teachers here laugh and relate with the funny stories that we tell them about college life because (guess what?) they have been through it too!  Sometimes, I feel as if they know me better than I know myself because they have already done the exact same things that we are currently doing.

It's not just the professors here who are fantastic though. The students are really easy to get along with, and we have had so many awesome times together already. I am really glad that I participated in the Freshman Scholars Program because I was able to begin the semester with friends that I knew I could count on. These are people that I know I will keep around for a long time, and I love them all!  We are crazy, yes, and we will never forget this experience that we shared!



No comments:

Post a Comment