Tuesday, September 24, 2013

One Adventure to Another

by Delana S., Panther Blogger

It's been a while since I blogged, and let me say that my summer was filled with a lot of adventure!

The biggest adventure that I had was going to Disney World with my family for four days and traveling on the road for two weeks.  We had so much fun and had the opportunity to go to all of the theme parks and ride all of the rides. It has been years since my family has gone to Disney World, and our vacation this summer will always be in my memory.
The only downside to the vacation was that I was preparing to go to Washington, D.C. for the fall semester, so I had a lot of information and paperwork that I had to complete which required immediate attention. Thankfully, I got it all done on time!  Now, I am in DC having the adventure of a lifetime, and I must say it is interesting.

Life in DC is definitely different from what I am used to, and American University is huge. Ferrum's campus would barely cover a portion of the campus here, and let me just say that it is a bit overwhelming. I have completed about four weeks of classes and things are going great. I have met so many amazing people and have seen so many amazing sights.  It's funny to think about how we can be in a place so long and still be amazed with everything that we learn about it.

My Peace and Conflict Resolution Program is very hands-on and very intriguing because it focuses a lot on the Middle East.  We have two seminar classes and an internship portion that allows you to explore your interests.  Since we are in DC, we have gone to a lot of panels regarding many of the issues that are taking place, and they are all across the city. At the same time, I am going into my third week of my internship at the World Affairs Council of DC, and I am constantly busy!  Sometimes it is a good thing that I always have something that I need to do, and sometimes I would like to rest every now and then.  Every Sunday, my professor sends the weekly schedule of events, and this week promises to be a little more relaxed.

So far, I am doing very well in my classes and getting good grades, but that is because I was prepared for a lot of the material from various classes that I have taken at Ferrum. I am learning a lot and meeting very influential people, but nothing compares to being at Ferrum. At the same time, I am trying to keep a record of everything that I do here and am blogging here to share some of my day-to-day activities and thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment