Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Greetings from Ferrum College Student Blogger, Caleb!


BY CALEB, A PANTHER BLOGGER 


Hello all!  My name is Caleb, and I’m from Staunton, Virginia.  I am currently a freshman here at Ferrum College. I am presently majoring in Environmental Science with an Outdoor Recreational minor. This first year has been an amazing change in my life. Not only am I studying Environmental Science, but I have also had the opportunity to work on hands-on research projects – projects that involve the American chestnut tree and others that involve forensic science. Besides school, I am heavily involved in the Ferrum community. I am a member of both the Ferrum volunteer rescue squad and the Henry Volunteer Fire Department.  I also help out with ministries at a local church where I attend while I'm in school. I am so happy that Ferrum chose me, and yes, I said Ferrum chose me.

Student Blogger Caleb
I say Ferrum chose me because it really did! I had never heard of Ferrum, Virginia or even the college two and a half years ago. I only found out about this amazing place by way of my sister’s college, Shenandoah University. My parents were up in Winchester, Virginia having lunch with my sister, and then someone from the college came up and started talking about all that SU had to offer.  Like most parents do, my parents somehow threw my name into the mix and said that I was looking at Virginia Tech.  The person speaking with us said that I should look into Ferrum because it seemed to match up with what I wanted to do, not that Virginia Tech is a bad school. So I got more information and the first time I came down here to this gem hidden in the Blue Ridge, I fell in love. I fell in love with the place itself and also the people.

One of the things that I think sets Ferrum apart from all the other colleges in the state of Virginia is the fact that the community is so actively involved in the college; you don’t see that much anywhere else. Yes, Ferrum is a smaller college, but please don’t let that fool you. Just because Ferrum doesn’t have thousands of students, it is, in my book, the best college there is. It is not unusual for me to walk to class and know almost everyone I see.  You are not going to get that close family that you get here anywhere else.

I have loved my first year down here in beautiful Ferrum, Virginia so far, and I look forward to the next three years to come. I can’t wait to see what great thing I am going to do here at Ferrum College. Have a good one y’all!  

No comments:

Post a Comment