Monday, March 12, 2012

There’s no “I” in Team!

BY VANESSA, PANTHER BLOGGER


Being a part of Ferrum’s newspaper, The Iron Blade, and the Ferrum Women’s Lacrosse team has been remarkable. I first became interested in The Iron Blade when I picked up the journalism practicum class my sophomore year. I’d had really great English professors that made English so much fun to learn. I was a bit nervous when I first walked into my journalism class because I thought, “what am I doing? I don’t even know how to write in this format! And now the whole school is going to see my writing skills.” I didn’t know what I was getting myself into. At the time, my professor and advisor for The Iron Blade was Dr. Lana Whited. She made journalism so enjoyable to learn that I stuck with it. It wasn’t until my senior year that I was asked by our newly appointed Iron Blade advisor Dr. Karl Roeper if I could be a part of the editors group where I was named News Editor. It’s a great responsibility to have and from which I’m still learning each day. Check out our most recent issue of The Iron Blade online newspaper »

Photo by Gary Holden
The Ferrum Women’s Lacrosse Team is like my second family at Ferrum. A big part of me staying and really enjoying my experience at Ferrum to the fullest has a lot to do with my team and coaches. The variety of personalities and ideas on this team is quite remarkable. I have seen great women graduate and join our lacrosse team here at Ferrum for the past 3 years. All of us have shared so many memories together and to be able to share something special with each one of them is a big deal to me. As part of the NCAA Division III USA South Conference, we were able to travel to many places, such as Georgia, North Carolina and different parts of Virginia. Traveling together was a great way for our team to bond and then bring that bond and connection out on the field. Hard work and dedication has brought us a long way since my freshman year in the program. I’m definitely going to miss my head coach, Karen Harvey, our new assistant coach, Mary Cuddihy, and my teammates/sisters.
Lacrosse team photo by Gary Holden

No comments:

Post a Comment