Thursday, March 8, 2012

Greetings from Ferrum College Student Blogger, Grant!


BY GRANT, A PANTHER BLOGGER


For those of you who do not know me, my name is Grant, and I am a sophomore here at Ferrum College. I am currently working towards getting a Bachelor’s of Science with a Biology and Pre-professional Science major along with a Chemistry and Business minor. I also am working on an independent research project with Dr. Gazdik to determine gene regulation of M. smegmatis as a model for tuberculosis. I am originally from Georgia where I was born in Savannah and have lived in Augusta and Atlanta, GA. I spent my middle school and high school years in Chesapeake, Virginia and have recently moved to Greenville, South Carolina.

I plan on graduating in May of 2014, and hope to go on to the University of Georgia and get my Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine as well as my Ph.D. specializing in infectious diseases through the dual degree program that the University of Georgia offers.

Christianity is an integral part of my life, and there is no exception when it comes to my involvement in the campus ministries here on Ferrum College’s campus. I am an active part of Mu Sigma Chi (the Christian fraternity on campus), and I am also the president of the Ferrum Christian Fellowship.  Along with attending Monday Night Praise, I lead a Bible study every Tuesday night at 8 p.m. in the Lighthouse behind the Hank Norton Center. I am a regular attendant at one of the many local churches as well. My involvement on this campus stretches further than the campus ministries, though. I also am a member of the Minds In Medicine Club, the Ferrum Outdoors Club, the Boone Honors Program, and also act as a PAL tutor for biology. Some of you may see me on your visit to Ferrum because I am a Student Ambassador, too. 
 
One question many people ask me is, “How in the world did you find Ferrum, and what about it keeps you around?” My answer to them would simply have to be that my high school football coach suggested that I look at Ferrum because it is his alma mater; I would also say that at Ferrum, I have never felt like a number, but instead, a human being. Due to the smaller number of students here at Ferrum, I have had the opportunity to experience things that I never would have at a larger university.

Since my first visit to Ferrum, I have always felt at peace and right at home here. Just as an example of the homey feeling that Ferrum exudes, one of my favorite memories at Ferrum is sitting around the small Christmas tree with all my roommates and friends opening our Secret Santa presents while eating a Christmas breakfast. These are the people that you meet and experiences that stick with you the rest of your life. Hopefully, you will read more blog posts and get some sense of the truly wonderful Ferrum experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment