Thursday, March 8, 2012

Greetings from Ferrum College Student Blogger, Addissew!

BY ADDISSEW, A PANTHER BLOGER


My name is Addissew, and I’m a freshman majoring in biology and minoring in psychology.  I’m originally from Ethiopia. I came to the United States about a year ago.  I moved with my family to a city called Falls Church in Virginia. I had moved in the middle of my senior year of high school and was able to graduate by the end of the academic year. I found out about Ferrum College through the help of my College and Career Advisor, who helped me in applying to the college before the deadline passed since most of the deadlines for other colleges had passed.

I got an acceptance letter and a scholarship from Ferrum College, as well as from the other colleges I had applied to. The location of Ferrum College attracted me since it has an isolated campus which is beneficial to concentrate on school work and there are fewer distractions compared to a campus located in or near a city. Both the drive to Ferrum and its campus have beautiful scenery! One feels close to nature in Ferrum with the fresh air, lots of trees, a pond with different types of ducks and the occasional sight of deer grazing.

The teacher-to-student ratio is effective in that a teacher knows all his/her student and is able to help any student having troubles with the course material. Additionally, the Writing and Math Centers aid students with their course materials when the professors are unavailable.  Academic assistance is abundant at Ferrum.

No comments:

Post a Comment