Friday, March 30, 2012

¡Hola! ¡Bienvenidos!

BY VANESSA, A PANTHER BLOGGER

There are a variety of majors and minors at Ferrum College. When I first came to Ferrum, I wasn’t quite sure what I wanted to major in. I looked into several majors, but Spanish was the one that captured my interest the most. Many would ask: “Your major is Spanish? But you’re Hispanic? Isn’t that cheating?!” but that is definitely not the case. There is so much more to Spanish then just being able to speak the language. It comes with knowledge in literature, art, geography, grammar and SO MUCH MORE.

All my classes consisted of topics such as Latin American Literature, Latin American Culture, Spanish (Spain) Culture, Spanish (Spain) Literature and Professional Spanish. It wasn’t until the fall semester of my junior year that I knew I wanted to pursue Spanish as my major and really learn about different cultures, traditions and grammar in my second language, Castilian, or what most like to call it, Spanish.

Dr. Patricia Suppes
During this time, Ferrum had appointed Dr. Patricia Suppes as the new Assistant Professor of Spanish. Dr. Suppes, or “Profe” as her students usually like to call her, has been my professor for the past 2 years. She has challenged me in ways I never thought possible when it came to my second language. Another great thing about my major is that I was able to study abroad. This past summer, I was able to study in Alicante, Spain for a month; it was an experience I’ll be able to remember for the rest of my life.

When it came to my minors, I had an idea of what I wanted to pursue. Like I mentioned in my last blog entry, Journalism was a definite choice after taking my practicum classes, and it was something I was really interested in doing. When I was able to take some neat English classes with some AMAZING English professors (you all know who you are), I then decided to also minor in English because I really enjoyed literature, writing, the different classes, and the English program itself.

Majoring in Spanish and minoring in Journalism and English has given me a great experience at Ferrum!
My friends & I with a mariachi band in Roanoke, VA

No comments:

Post a Comment